Sunday, October 9, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Future in Play

Had a truly fall-weather week … to the point we had to turn the heat on. We'll probably get another brief spell of warmer temperatures before things settle down into actual fall. Or, we could have snow before Halloween. It's Ohio.

Busy work week with several projects going at the same time. I did get through a round of my usual viewing schedule.

Ted Lasso didn't disappoint with Rebecca's reveal and the catalyst for her finally making it happen ended up being so good. I rather hope Rupert dies in a fire or maybe gets hit by a double-decker bus in the near future. What a twat. Keeley continues to make me laugh out loud and I have so much love for her.

Caught another episode of The Agatha Christie Hour, which ended up being quite a fun episode even if the whole point was to gaslight one poor guy into handing over something that didn't even belong to him.

I picked up where I left of with Endeavor in season five and caught back up with the characters. I'm looking forward to more and seeing where things go.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness and thoroughly enjoyed the twists in the episode. I'm not quite sure who the culprit is and that's always fun for me.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Who. Loved seeing Three's car pulled out of mothballs and the interactions between the brigadier and the Doctor. So much fun.

Finished up the first season of Strangest Things and I'm looking forward to the second. I love seeing how they try to figure out what the relics are and how they were used.

Started Ms. Marvel and loved the first episode. I'm very excited to dive into this series. Kamala and Bruno are awesome!

Only Murders in the Building had an awesome episode with the Superfans. Seriously, I loved so much about how everything played out. Okay, except at the end. Now I can't wait to find out what happened to the bassoonist. I have so many theories, but two stand out and I'll share if either one of those is correct.

Finished up season three of Blue Heelers and said good-bye to Wayne. I'm actually kind of glad it was indeed a random act as the episode title suggested. I'm kind of bummed out that I'll only be able to watch one more season in order then I'll have to skip to the later seasons. Streaming sucks sometimes.

Watched another MasterClass lesson with Roxane Gay. She discussed being a good literary citizen in this one and I enjoyed what she had to say. Kindness doesn't cost a red cent and being considerate of others is sometimes a lost gesture that should be the norm instead of the exception.

The Umbrella Academy had another terrific episode. I love how much chaos there is and also how the characters end up being there for each other even when they'd rather be anywhere else.

Caught an episode of Classic Rugrats and laughed out loud more than once and remembered doing the same when watching with the kiddos.

Finished off the week with Batman: The Animated Series and the introduction of the Clock King. I loved this episode when it originally aired and enjoyed it again this time around.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Future in Play, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nellie Finch is a little bored with her family's annual fall money-maker, the Apple Butter Festival. But when the village council decides to add a competitor to the yearly event, Nellie faces off against Mace Bigelow to see who makes the best mouth-watering spread and find out which challenger will win bragging rights and maybe the other competitor's heart.

And a snippety peek…

A little after eight a.m., Mane Bigelow stepped out of the SUV in the casual-dining restaurant parking lot. "Thanks, Dave. Safe trip to Pennsylvania." He lifted a hand in farewell when his shipmate reversed out of the parking space and drove toward the road.

He hoisted his rucksack over his shoulder and got his first look at home in over five years. The three-rivers bridge had recently been renovated and looked pretty amazing, all things considered.

Dave had been nice enough to drop Mane off in Ohio and not ask a bunch of questions Mane couldn't answer yet. He had thirty days. More than enough time to decide if he'd reup for another stint or not.

A lot depended on how his visit went.

The door to the restaurant pushed open and a group of women exited, carrying takeout boxes with them. One in particular caught Mane's eye. Nellie Finch. Her laughter rang out and waved to the group heading to their vehicles.

The sound transported Mane back to high school. He'd had it bad for Nellie. But she'd been taken all four years by Jace Stewart. Hell, she might still be…

Mane didn't want to think too much about her status. "Nellie? Hey, how are you?"

She turned and stopped short. "Mane? When did you—" She shook her head. "Stupid question. Obviously, you just got back." Her gaze went to his rucksack.

His lips twisted. "Uh, yeah. Like five minutes ago." He moved toward her, crossing the short distance to the row of cars lined up. "It's great to see you."

Her head bobbed a little. "Yeah, good to see you, too." Her chin lifted and her brows arched. "Are you waiting on someone? Your grandma?" She popped her back door open and set the takeout box on the seat.

He shook his head. "Not yet. I literally just got dropped off. Haven't had time to call her." He'd decided to wait until he got into town before letting her know he got leave.

Nellie blinked. "She doesn't know you're here?" She shut the door and leaned against the car.

He rolled a shoulder. "Didn't know if I'd get leave or when I'd be coming through. Thought I'd wait until I got here to check-in with her." He also didn't want to call too early.

Nellie tilted her head. "Were you thinking of surprising her? Because I can give you a lift out to her place if you were."

Mane smiled. "Didn't think that far ahead, but that would be great." He started around the vehicle. "If you don't mind. Do you have to get to work or anything?" He had no idea what she did or where she worked.

Nellie huffed out a breath. "I'm finished for the day." She slid behind the wheel. "Just finished a planning breakfast for the Apple Butter Festival. I'm usually off on Wednesdays." Starting the engine, she waited for Mane to get his rucksack in the back and then for him to get settled in the front. "I work part-time at the chamber of commerce." She backed out of the parking space and drove out of the lot. "So, what's it been? Five years?" Her teeth worried her lower lip.

Mane gave a nod. "There about. You went to OU, didn't you?" On a scholarship if he remembered correctly.

She lifted her chin. "Yeah. Graduated two years ago and I'm almost finished with a master's degree." She made the turn onto the county road heading toward his grandmother's place. "Not sure what I'll do with it, but my mom insisted that I keep going." She rolled her eyes. "If I moved to Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati, it would make sense. But here—" She broke off, not completing her thought.

Mane soaked up the scenery. The fields were pretty much the same as they'd always been. The trees weren't as dense. Probably some harvesting of hardwood.

Mane focused on the driver again. "You plan on sticking around then?"

Nellie shrugged. "Kind of have to. Mom and Dad decided to pull up stakes and move to North Carolina. Both brothers live there with their families." She turned onto the township road his grandma lived on.

Mane frowned. "Is your grandmother doing all right?" He remembered her as a go-getter.

Nellie laughed. "Gram's fine. But she can't manage the orchard by herself and since I'm not planning to get married or have a family any time soon, it's logical that I shoulder some of the workload." Turning into the drive, she pulled up close to the house.

Mane angled around. "Logical? Maybe. But is it what you want to do?" Something in her voice suggested differently.

Nellie cut the engine. "Honestly? I have no idea." She pasted on a bright smile. "But, right now, it's what I'm doing." Her attention when to the front porch when his grandma came out. "Looks like Hannah is definitely going to be surprised." She waved.

Mane wanted to keep talking to Nellie but his grandma already started toward them.

He popped the door. "Hang on one second." Exiting the car, he crossed the short distance and met his grandma, sweeping her up into a big hug.

When he set her down, she had tears in her eyes. "Oh, Mane. Why didn't you tell me you were coming home?" She patted his cheek.

Mane gave her a quick smile. "Wanted to surprise you. Caught a ride out with Nellie." They walked to the car together.

Nellie leaned across the seat. "Hi, Hannah. Found your grandson and thought I'd better return him to you."

Mane chuckled and grabbed his rucksack from the back. "She makes me sound like a lost puppy instead of a sailor on leave." He ducked into the front of the vehicle. "Can I reach you at your grandma's?" He wanted to take her to lunch or dinner as a thank you.

Nellie's eyes widened. "Uh, sure. Or, better yet, call me directly." She riffled around in her bag and handed him a card. "Number's on the back."

He tucked the contact information into his shirt pocket. "Thank you for the ride. It was great catching up. If you're up for it, I'd like to take you and my grandma to dinner. Or lunch, whichever you prefer."

Nellie blinked, clearly surprised. "Um, depends on when. But I'd enjoy that. Give me a call." She started the car again.

Mane shut the door and lifted a hand in farewell.

His grandma waved and waited until Nellie got turned around and headed back down the drive before she spoke. "I'm so glad you're home, Mane. I've missed you." She wrapped an arm around him. "And a ride from Nellie Finch. Bet you didn't see that one coming, did you?"

Mane laughed. "Grandma! It's been five years and she didn't know I was even alive in high school." He grabbed his bag and walked up to the house with Hannah.

Hannah chuckled. "She knows you're alive now. And she's very single at the moment." With a sly look, she ushered Mane inside the house and bustled directly to the kitchen.

Mane shook his head. Damn, he'd missed his grandmother and her keen perception.

This one is going to be fun to write. There's a bit of a rivalry that's going to come into play and the characters will have fun with that.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment