Sunday, October 16, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Game Night

I should not have made a joke about having snow before Halloween in my last post. Apparently, there's a chance we might have some in the early part of the week. If it happens, it'll probably be a dusting and won't last long, but, geez, I'm not quite ready to drag out my cold-weather clothes yet.

Had a good week with my work projects and made a tiny bit of progress on my future endeavor. I also got some writing time in, which makes me happy. I have some home projects that need attention this week so I might not have as much time to write as I'd like.

Had a decent viewing week and made a full circuit through my usual programs. Caught the first season finale of Ted Lasso and I'm excited to start season two this week.

Watched the second episode of Suspects and enjoyed the twists this one took. I like the cast and characters and the pacing is excellent. Definitely going to continue watching this one.

Finished up series five of Endeavor and loved where things ended up. I'm looking forward to starting series six this week.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness and, whew, what a ride. I loved how twisted up everything got before the final act. Considering I'm in season twenty, it's nice to still love this show.

Watched the final part of Classic Who's arc with Leftbridge-Stewart. Thoroughly enjoyed for the most part. Should be starting a new multi-part arc this week.

Started Sci-Fi Science and liked the first episode. I've seen bits and pieces of this show and I'm excited to watch it through from start to finish.

Loved the second episode of Ms. Marvel. I have a feeling this will end up being one of my favorite Marvel shows. The characters are a lot of fun.

Caught the penultimate episode of Only Murders in the Building and, wow, it blew my mind in the best possible way. I can't wait to see the finale this week.

The Umbrella Academy had a great episode. Things are coming together and I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in the next episode. I did not think Klaus would end up being one of my favorite characters but he totally is. I love him in all his screwed up glory.

Watched the second episode of Star Trek: Discovery in season three. I'm glad to have everyone back together, but it's always nice to see the crew shine under Saru's leadership.

Also caught another episode of Batman: The Animated Series. This one featured the Joker again and it might be sacrilegious but he's my favorite Mark Hamill character of all time.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Game Night, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Newly retired from the military and first-time parents, Albany and Jiles Wright are spending their first night out without their little one. They've got great friends staying with the baby, they're going to their favorite restaurant, and both love hockey. They should be having a great time. But … while they each put on a brave face, Albany and Jiles take turns checking on their kid behind each other's backs then finally realize he's in great hands and they can actually have a good time.

And a snippety peek…

Albany Wright picked her son up and checked his diaper. "Can't drop you off with a messy one." Her heart kicked hard for a moment.

I can do this. Jiles and I need a night out. Bryce will be fine with Hawk and Sharon.

The Hawthorns were perfectly capable of minding a ten-month-old overnight. And it had been a little over a year since Albany had a date night with Jiles.

She snorted. "Besides, not like we haven't gotten into and out of some crazy situations with the Hawthorns." While being deployed and back on base.

Jiles poked his head into Bryce's room. "I put extra diapers in the bag. Also added some of his favorite toys, just in case." His gaze landed on their son.

Albany's lips quirked. "It's overnight, Jiles. Hawk and Sharon have a stash of Bryce's toys at their place already." She put Bryce down on the changing table.

Jiles nudged her out of the way to take over diaper duty. "Right. It's overkill." He slid the clean one on and fixed the onsie. "And I'm in mission-planning mode." Scooping Bryce up, he glanced over his shoulder. "Tell me to stop."

Albany chuckled. "No way." She moved to his side. "You're way too cute and sexy when you're going all ticky-box checking on me." Going up on tiptoe, she brushed her lips over his cheek.

Jiles gave her a heated look. "I'll be ticking off a lot of boxes when we get back from dinner and the hockey match. Just you wait."

Albany smirked. "I'm going to hold you to that." She took Bryce and headed for the living room to get him into his coat.

Jiles followed, grabbing the portable crib. "I'll get this in the car along with the diaper bag." He hoisted the bag over his shoulder, picked up the small duffel with the extras and headed outside.

Albany shook her head. "Daddy's over-prepared, as usual. But we love that about him." Zipping up Bryce's jacket, she shrugged into hers, then put him on her hip.

Once she had him settled and secure in the car seat, she closed the door and had another pang, which she tamped down. She turned to open the front passenger door but bumped into Jiles. He grinned and got the door for her. She smiled and slid inside the car.

He leaned in. "In case I haven't said it enough, I love you." His mouth met hers in a sweet and hot kiss.

Her lips curved. "I love you, too. Date-night starts now."

Jiles shut her door and darted around the front of the car, got in, and slid behind the wheel, his gaze going to the backseat. "Ready, little man? Hawk and Sharon can't wait to spoil you rotten." Reversing out of the drive, he laughed when Bryce started jabbering.

Albany's heart squeezed again. But Jiles had it right. The Hawthorns would absolutely spoil Bryce and have fun doing it.

Everything would be just fine…

I hope this story goes where I'd like it to. Capturing a date night out after having a little one is fun to write.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment