Sunday, October 23, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Get Back to Where He Once Belonged

Had a bit of a rough week and felt under the weather for most of it. I did make progress on two of my work projects so not a total loss.

I didn't quite get all the way through my full streaming schedule, but I got a decent amount of viewing completed.

I started the second season of Ted Lasso and quite enjoyed the first episode. I'm interested to see where things go with the psychologist.

Caught another Agatha Christie Hour and loved the cloak and dagger aspect of the episode. Very twisty and turny and an excellent resolution.

Started season six of Endeavor and enjoyed the first episode. Not sure I like the new DCI but I'll see where things go. I don't like not having all the guys together but a shake up now and then is probably good for the show.

Watched another episode of Silent Witness and had no idea Clarissa had a husband. Good to see how they interacted. Interesting premise and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Started a new arc of Classic Who. It's a bit spooky and I liked the first episode. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Sci Fi Science had a fun topic of traveling to a parallel universe. I like to see how a theoretical physicist puts ideas together that could one day possibly happen.

Enjoyed another episode of Ms. Marvel. This group of characters is a joy to watch. I love the way Kamala interacts with everyone and the show nails the entire awkwardness of being a teenager pretty well.

The finale of Only Murders in the Building did not disappoint! I'm so excited to start season two because I have to know what happens next for our trio of characters.

Started season four of Blue Heelers. Nice to see Roz again even if the circumstances were sad. I'm a little disappointed I won't have new episodes to watch after this season unless I want to jump to eleven.

I'm in the middle of an Umbrella Academy episode and should have it finished up later today. Things are really spiraling and that's not a bad thing.

That's pretty much it for this week's life update. Tonight's post is from Get Back to Where He Once Belonged, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Barton Gress leaves his small hometown right after graduation to become a music legend and breaks Noss Allrider's heart in the process. He makes good on his dream but discovers life at the top gets lonely without the one he loves. Noss isn't interested in a reunion when Barton returns but he brings her something she can't resist—the chance to know her dad. Whatever Noss decides, Barton is finally back where he belongs and he's not going anywhere.

And a snippety peek…

"'Cause I'm feelin' you deep in my soul … And, baby, leavin' you was never the goal … And I'll never again string you along … 'Cause I'm back, back where I belong … Where I should've been right from the start … Smack in the middle of your heart…"

Noss Allrider turned off the music app. "Why does he have to be everywhere on streaming platforms?" She didn't want to hear Barton Gress's newest hit.

A mash-up of country, folk, soul, and mainstream pop, she couldn't get away from the song. Then again, "Back Where I Belong" burned up the charts and topped the list for most downloaded single for two weeks running—the latest in a string of ballads that propelled Barton's rising star into the stratosphere. He'd become a hometown boy who made good.

Noss rolled her eyes. "A hometown he couldn't get out of fast enough." Almost ten years ago.

Barton hightailed it out of town without so much as a goodbye only two days after graduation in his grandma's old car.

Turning down an alleyway, Noss pulled into the parking space behind the small boutique she owned with her best friend, Neela. They'd worked hard to establish the eclectic inventory and filled the two-story public space with items they loved. Luckily for them, the third floor provided enough room for two apartments and an area where they ran live sales on social media to enhance their services. Five years into the enterprise and the business showed no sign of slowing down.

Cutting the engine, Noss gathered her bag and popped her trunk open so she could get the groceries she'd picked up.

Neela startled Noss by knocking on the window. "Have you heard the news?"

Noss frowned. "Who's running the store if you're out here?" They had some part-time help in the afternoons in the form of local high-schoolers.

Neela waved a hand. "I put the back in five minutes sign up." She winced. "Although this might take more like the rest of the day."

Noss nudged her door open and got out of the car. "Nees, what's going on? What news?"

Neela went to the trunk and pulled the groceries out. "Damn. I actually hoped you'd already heard. It's been on the radio all morning." She nodded for Noss to get the rest of the bags.

Noss retrieved them and closed the trunk with her elbow. "I don't listen to the radio, unless there's bad weather. And I closed my app because—" She broke off, a ball of tension knotting in her stomach. "What's the news?"

Neela paused mid-step and angled her head around. "Barton's coming home. He bought the old pavilion and plans on turning it into a recording studio and concert venue." Her gaze filled with concern.

The knotted tension tangled tighter. "And this is supposedly happening when?" The words to his latest song took on a new twisted meaning.

'Cause I'm back, back where I belong…

Neela walked the few steps back and wrapped a grocery-laden arm around Noss. "He made the purchase while he was on tour. He's planning to be home sometime this week."

Noss inhaled deeply then exhaled slowly. "Right then. The county will be in an uproar for the foreseeable future." She moved forward, twisting the knob on their rear-entry door then took an immediate right to head the back stairs to their living space.

Neela followed right behind. "Who cares about the rest of the county? Are you going to be okay?" She dropped her bags on the bench outside Noss's door. "You've heard his new song, haven't you?"

Noss gave a nod. "It's why I turned off my app." Pushing her door open, she carried the purchases to the kitchen. "Everywhere I go, one of his power-ballads is playing." With lyrics about regret, lost love, and making amends.

As if he'd actually live the words to his songs. Not damn likely.

Neela brought the groceries she'd set down into the apartment. "He does have a way of dropping the hits and making everybody think he's singing about them." She nudged Noss with her shoulder. "He actually could be singing about you, especially with the newest song."

Noss shook her head. "No way. He's been gone ten years and never once reached out, tried to call, or, hell, even wrote a letter. That song is not about me." Wouldn't matter anyway. "I gotta get this stuff put away and we'd better reopen the store." She started putting the perishables in the fridge.

Neela placed her hand on Noss's shoulder. "For what it's worth, I still hate him."

Noss laughed and hugged her friend. "You don't have to. But I love that you're always on my side."

Neela eased back and met Noss's gaze. "You gonna be okay? We can take a half day off, if you wanna go blow off some steam."

Noss shook her head. "I'm good. It's been ten years, Nees. He'll cause a stir and then things will settle down. We'll probably never cross paths. Not like we even know each other anymore."

Neela shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. You might not know each other now, but you knew each other way back when. Do not be surprised if you bump into each other or if Barton shows up hoping for a stroll down memory lane." She headed for the door. "I've got the store covered … come down when you're ready."

Noss lifted her chin. "Thanks, Nees." She returned to putting the groceries away.

Neela had ringside seats and a VIP pass to the rise and fall of Noss's relationship with Barton. Neela helped pick up the pieces and put Noss back together when she found out Barton left—no goodbye, no advanced notice, nothing but a trail of dust in his wake.

Neela huffed out a breath. "It was high school. No one said we'd stay together forever." Not even she expected they would.

But she'd thought they cared enough for each other that he would've at least respected her enough to break things off like a normal person would. She'd confided her history to him. Her dad left without a backward glance and she never heard from him again. To have Barton do the exact same thing…

Yeah, the cruelty of it messed with her head for a while.

Closing the cupboard, she shook off the stab of pain. "No more of that. I'm done letting anyone make me feel like I don't matter." Grabbing her phone, she headed for the door to join Neela downstairs.

Barton Gress could return home and set up his recording studio to make more chart-topping hits. It wouldn't affect her life in any way.

'Cause I'm back, back where I belong … Where I should've been right from the start … Smack in the middle of your heart…"

Because he'd never get anywhere near her heart let alone smack in the middle of it.

I'm excited about writing this one. Nell is cautious and has some issues and her world is going to be turned upside down in the near future.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment